Sport and Games Atlas

How The Game Is Played
Competitions

French Open

Also Known As Roland Garros

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

The French Open, officially the Tournoi de Roland-Garros, is the second Grand Slam tournament of the tennis season, played on red clay courts in Paris. Its origins trace to 1891, when the French Championships began as a competition restricted to French club members; the tournament opened to international players in 1925, and moved to the newly built Stade Roland Garros, named for the aviator Roland Garros, in 1928. Women's singles were added in 1897. Along with the other three majors, it became fully open to professional players in 1968, the start of the Open Era.

Facts
Frequency
Annual, played over two weeks each May and June. 1
Host History
The tournament rotated among four Paris-area venues from its 1891 founding through 1924: the Societe de Sport de l'Ile de Puteaux, the Croix-Catelan grounds of the Racing Club de France in the Bois de Boulogne, the Tennis Club de Paris in Auteuil, and, for the 1909 edition only, the Societe Athletique de la Villa Primrose in Bordeaux. It has been played at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris continuously since 1928. 2
Disputed
Founding Year
1891 1
1891 is the year the French Championships began, restricted to French club members. The tournament is sometimes dated instead from 1925, when it opened to international competitors, or 1928, when it moved to the newly built Stade Roland Garros that gives the tournament its common name.
Learn More
Named for an Aviator: How Roland Garros Became Tennis's Clay Major

This article records tradition as it has been passed down and reported. Its sources are not yet part of the atlas's verified catalogue.

The French Open's everyday name, Roland Garros, honors a French aviator who never played competitive tennis. Roland Garros was the first pilot to fly solo across the Mediterranean Sea, in 1913, and he died in aerial combat in 1918, seventy nine days before the Armistice that ended the First World War. When the French Tennis Federation built a new stadium in the Paris suburb of Auteuil in 1928, to host the Davis Cup after France's team, the Four Musketeers, had won the trophy the previous year, a federation official who had served alongside Garros proposed naming the new grounds after his fallen friend, on the condition that the stadium always bear his name.

The stadium's construction in 1928 also marks the year many histories treat as the true founding of the modern French Open, distinct from the French Championships that had existed since 1891. Before 1925 the Championships were closed to anyone who was not a member of a French tennis club, which in practice meant French nationals; the tournament opened to international entrants only in 1925, three years before the move to the stadium that gave the event its lasting name.

The clay surface that now defines the tournament's identity, the slowest of the four majors, was already the standard playing surface in France by the time of the move, but it became a genuinely international talking point only once the world's best players began arriving in numbers after 1925.

From a Closed Club to the World: The French Open's Road to 1968

This article records tradition as it has been passed down and reported. Its sources are not yet part of the atlas's verified catalogue.

Women joined the French Championships in 1897, six years after the men's event began in 1891, a shorter gap than either the Australian Championships or the US Championships allowed. For its first three and a half decades the tournament remained closed to anyone who was not a member of a French club, a restriction that meant the championship, however strong its home grown fields, could not claim to crown a genuine world champion.

That changed in 1925, when the French Championships opened to international entrants for the first time, immediately drawing the era's leading foreign players into a field that had previously been a purely domestic affair. The change came the same decade France's own Four Musketeers, Jean Borotra, Jacques Brugnon, Henri Cochet and Rene Lacoste, were becoming the dominant force in men's tennis worldwide, and the newly international French Championships gave Parisian crowds a stage to watch them face the world's other best players rather than only each other.

Like the other three majors, the tournament turned fully professional in 1968 with the start of the Open Era, ending the distinction between amateur and professional entrants that had shaped tennis since the sport's beginnings. The French Open's clay courts, unusually slow and physically demanding compared to grass or hard courts, have since made it the major most associated with long, attritional five set matches, a reputation that predates the Open Era but has only deepened since professional players began entering every year without exception.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Competitors Include

Features

Sources
1. Roland Garros (French Open), Official History
Federation Francaise de Tennis
2. Wikipedia, French Open
Sport and Games Atlas Long-Form Articles, First Edition
Sport and Games AtlasLong-Form Articles: Named for an Aviator: How Roland Garros Became Tennis's Clay Major
Sport and Games Atlas Long-Form Articles, First Edition
Sport and Games AtlasLong-Form Articles: From a Closed Club to the World: The French Open's Road to 1968
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.